Large Financial Services Firm
Project Description and Requirements
Our client maintains an IT inventory of over 900 applications running on approximately 13,000 server images across two centers in the same metropolitan area. In 2018 they elected to build a new out–of-region data center and abandon one of the existing centers both to provide geographic diversity and to relieve themselves of facility challenges with one of the locations.
GTSG led a Phase 1 engagement where we performed the discovery, design and migration planning for the relocation to the new center.
GTSG Solution Description
GTSG led the Asset Inventory, Application Affinity Mapping, Migration Strategy Development and Detailed Migration Planning phases of the project. This included:
- Needs analysis and data collection
- Current State Assessment
- FireScope-based Application Affinity Mapping
- Migration Strategy Development for each Move Group identified
- Detailed Migration Planning
Our client’s move plan projects an 18-month completion. Their team is highly experienced- one of their project focals has done over 30 migrations – and recognized the value of GTSG consultants to rationalize the FireScope tool output in conjunction with the knowledge of the team.
GTSG Team Composition
- Lead Management Consultant: a lead migration consultant with 30+ years of experience.
- Lead Technical Consultant: a lead consultant with 30+ years of technology transformation experience including technical leadership for several large data center transformation projects.
- Migration Architects: three Migration Architects each with 20+ years of experience to lead the technical discovery and migration design.
- FireScope Subject Matter Experts: to lead the deployment, customization and execution of the FireScope Secure Discovery and Dependency Mapping tool.
Client Results and Benefits
At this point in the engagement, our client has realized previously unattainable accuracy in their asset inventory repository as well as confirmed mappings of dependencies between applications and between applications and inventory components.
They also have a detailed strategy for migration of each move group and a migration plan containing the tasks, dependencies and timeline for completing the data center relocation project.